If you’ve created a digitally scrapped quick page and feel like you want to take the next step and get a little fancier, I highly recommend creating a layered template.
(Image by alb52)
What are Layered Templates?
Layered templates are similar to quick pages, except that instead of having a completed page with a place for you to add your photo, you get a diagram showing where all the components of the page should go. You decide what papers and embellishments you’re going to use, but the template shows you where to put them. This means you have more control over the look of the page. And you’re using the same dragging and dropping principles you used for your quick page, so it’s almost as easy.
In this template, different colors show where the different papers go, and where you should type your title and journaling. You open up the template, drop in your photos, add the paper and embellishments and you’re done!
How to Create Your First Layered Template
Below is my very first page, and I’m VERY excited about it. How did I do this?
- First I downloaded the free shabbyprincess.com Harvest Spice scrapbooking kit, which contains backgrounds and pretty elements like the curled paper and the flower..
- Then I followed the fantastic Misty Cato tutorial, which showed me how to:
– Use my Photoshop software to open all those goodies
– Put them all together to create this nifty page.
– Notice how I deleted the brads because they interfered with the page curl, and added a flower over the staple in the template because I thought it looked better.
Voila! I’ve created a digitally scrapped photo album page! And I know you can do it too.
What Software to Use For digital scrap booking
Remember – you’ll need software that will allow you to digiscrap. Digitalscrapbookplace.com has an easy to read software section that will help you choose what’s right for you. Best of all, it features links to free software trial versions.
Resources for Digital Scrap Booking
If you feel like diving in and learning everything right NOW, check out these useful links. If you want to keep it simple, save these for later.
- cottagearts.net (what are layers?)
- scrapgirls.com (all level tutorials)
- scrapwow.com (beginning tutorials)
- theshabbyshoppe.com (all level tutorials)
- digiscrappingtutorials.com (all level tutorials)
- scrapbookbytes.com (all level tutorials)’
- designerdigitals.com (beginner pdf, and advanced tutorials)
- scrappersguide.com (tutorials & free newsletter)
Also, be sure to check out our Celebrations Blog, your place for creative inspiration around digital design. See beautiful digiscrap kits from top digital designers, find digiscrapping advice, and get digiscrap freebies!