Recently I helped out at a third graders knitting and crochet club where I came to understand just how alive these skills still are. Both boys and girls wanted to learn how to make scarves, wristbands, hats and accessories. My visit prompted me to put together an easy felted bracelet project for you to try at home.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR FELTED BRACELETS
- 10 to 12 yards of pure wool, worsted weight yarn. Wool must be used when felting your product
- Size 6 knitting needles
- Three 16 gauge jump rings per bracelet (found at bead or craft stores)
- Two pairs of flat nose pliers / 5 to 6 inch in length (bead or hardware stores)
- Washing machine (for felting your bracelet)
- Flake detergent
- Hot water
- Yarn needle
- Cast on 4 or 5 stitches (five stitches will make your bracelet about 1 inch wide)
- Knit row upon row until you reach a length of 7 inches. Now, cast off.
- Using a yarn needle, weave the tail into the knitted stitching of your work. You can cut the tail off once you have woven an inch or so into your knitted work
- Using your flat nose pliers, open the jump ring by grasping one side of the ring with the first pair of pliers. Use the second pair of pliers to grasp the other side of the jump ring and pull it toward you. This will open the ring. Thread the ring through the end of the knitted yarn bracelet and close the jump ring by doing the opposite of the above procedure. Always open and close jump rings by pushing the two sides back and forth from side to side and never in and out.
- Attach the second jump ring at the other end of the bracelet.
- Use the third jump ring to hold the first two rings together, thus forming a three link chain.
- Now you are ready to felt your work. Fill your washing machine with hot water, add your wash and toss in your bracelet. You will need to run the bracelet through the washer about 3 times. Always use hot water and some flake detergent. This process will shrink your work a bit and will make the knitted stitching disappear into the felted fabric. Your finished product will look more like thick felt than a knitted piece.
- Once your bracelet is felted to the degree you like you can add charms or ribbon onto the jump rings for a bit of extra decoration. Now, just slip your bracelet on and enjoy!
Other Ways to Connect"Like" us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit our YouTube Channel
Visit our Celebrations Digital Scrapbooking Blog