You’ve made the lists, bought the cards and set time aside to personalize each and every one of them; after all, these cards are going to your family and friends and you want them to feel special.
With coffee in one hand and at the computer or with pen at hand, you sit down to spend an easy afternoon lyricizing; tick…tock…tick…tock. Dear Lucy... No – too generic. My dearest friend, Lucy. A little over the top.
We get it. Christmas cards are difficult – especially when you’re sending 50 of them to the closest people in your life. We’ve put together some ideas that will make this task a little easier on you.
Christmas Movie Quotes
A quote can be a great way to go. Write something like, “Every time I see this movie and hear this quote it immediately reminds me of you and I just wanted to share it in your Christmas card.” Here are a few popular quotes you might consider using:
- “First we’ll make snow angels for two hours. Then we’ll go ice skating, then we’ll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse cookie dough as fast as we can and then we’ll snuggle.” — Elf
- “Faith is believing when common sense tells you not to.” — Miracle on 34th Street
- “There’s a certain magic that comes with the very first snow. For when the first snow is also a Christmas snow, well, something wonderful is bound to happen.” — Frosty the Snowman
- “There are children throwing snowballs here instead of throwing heads. They’re busy building toys and absolutely no one’s dead. There’s frost on every window. Oh, I can’t believe my eyes. And in my bones I feel the warmth that’s coming from inside.” — The Nightmare Before Christmas
- “Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see.” — The Polar Express
There you have it. Some fun movie-quote ideas to start your Christmas card message. You know the person to whom you’re sending the card…the point is to have fun with it.
There are certain people in our lives who will expect a little sentiment. A simple and elegant message is the perfect way to say Merry Christmas.
- “Have the merriest holiday season. For me, the holidays start when we get together. Looking forward to catching up with you soon!”
- “While we may not be together on Christmas morning, you’ll be in my mind and in my heart throughout the holiday season.”
- “You always seem to show me the true meaning of the holiday season. I’m so very grateful to you for that and my wish is for you and your family to have a Merry Christmas together.”
- “Thinking warmly of each of you and can’t wait to see the pictures you post of Christmas morning.”
- “We may not be together in person on Christmas morning to open presents, and that’s OK. The best Christmas wish I could ever ask for was answered when I got you as my parents. I love you, mom and dad.”
Is that a tear in your eye? The point is, it will tear your parents up, too…or whoever receives one of these messages in their card from you.
For the Acquaintance
We all have those “obligatory” cards that we have to send – maybe it’s to your spouse’s brother’s wife’s cousin or the neighbor who always seems to know more about your life than you do (yet you only speak twice a year). Regardless, they need a card and you don’t want to spend an eternity coming up with the message. Try one of these:
- “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May Santa grant you all of your wishes!”
- “Sending warm wishes of peace and happiness this holiday season.”
- “Merry Christmas to you and your family. May you be surrounded by loved ones and friends this holiday season.”
- “May this Christmas bring you laughter, family, friendship and may it also hold for you the hope and wonder that truly is the holiday season.”
- “Warm and friendly holiday wishes for you and yours this holiday season.”
These acquaintance messages are perfect for those people on your list who need a card but don’t need too much of your time. They say more than, “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,” and less than “Wish we were together opening presents at Uncle Pat’s cabin in Missoula.”
That’s our cue. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. We kid. We really do want you to have the best holiday season. So start creating those cards and enjoy your Christmas.