Holiday ornaments aren’t just for the Christmas tree. Your bulbs, baubles and tree toppers are all perfect pieces to use for a variety of holiday décor ideas. From garlands to wreaths to wall art, the options are limitless. Whether you don’t have space for a full-blown Christmas tree or you simply want to spruce up other areas of the house, we hope you get inspired by one of these ideas for festive holiday decorations. Have your craft glue, glitter and ribbon at the ready.
For this merry and bright idea, all you’ll need is heavy ribbon or tulle and a long embroidery needle—and, of course, lots of Christmas ornaments. Choose a few favorite colorful ball ornaments from your collection and simply sew them together through their metal caps with the needle and ribbon. For best results, use a mix of glittery and satiny bulbs to keep things chic and interesting. You could also alternate solid-color ornaments with more ornate and detailed baubles to add some charm.
Image via Beauty And Bedlam
A Wreath Alternative
Use Christmas bulbs to create a whimsical spin on the traditional evergreen wreath. First, choose various-shaped ornaments in two to four complementary colors. Ideas include a silver, gold and snow-white scheme, classic red and green or a color family that pops vividly, such as mixed hues of purple, blue and pink.
Once you’ve chosen your bulbs, hot glue them in random arrangements to a foam wreath base (You can even use a pool noodle secured into a circular shape for this.). Glue several layers of bulbs and ornaments onto the wreath until the base is no longer visible. You’ll be left with a delightfully festive, totally unique wreath that’s perfect for hanging on the front door, fireplace or any wall in the house. Unlike fresh wreaths, you don’t have to replace it next year.
Image via Norm Reeves
For an added touch of flair, use ribbon to suspend your family monogram in a contrasting color in the center of the wreath. Use a painted wooden letter or oversized, monogrammed Christmas ornament to achieve the look.
Wonderful Wall Art
Why not try your hand at some DIY wall art? Tis the season to deck the halls, after all. Use your ornaments to create a festive masterpiece, such as one of the following:
- Simply hang a string of ornaments—or a single bulb, for a minimalist look—in a favorite picture frame or shadow box for a subtly festive pop of color on your wall.
- Repurpose an old window frame in a similar fashion. Use ribbon, twine or fishing line to suspend ornaments in a shabby-chic upcycled window, hung on the wall.
- Create a “wreath” of burlap, festive-colored tulle and ribbon and hang assorted bulbs from it. Perfect for displaying anywhere in the house.
Image via The Odyssey
Salvage the burnt-out bulbs from that favorite string of big, vintage Christmas lights. Instead of just throwing them away, coat each bulb in glue and sprinkle with glitter. Once they dry, display your upcycled glitter bulbs in a festive bowl as a fun centerpiece. Or, screw them back into the light string and drape it over a banister or mantle for a unique, DIY look.
Image via In My Own Style
A Cheerful Centerpiece
When it comes to Christmas ornaments as centerpieces, the options are virtually endless. Here are just a few top ideas:
- Arrange various-sized bulbs in a large glass vase along with pinecones spray-painted in a metallic color or coated in glitter.
- Pile a cupcake tower with colorful ornaments.
- Top ornate candlesticks with your favorite large, festive bulbs.
- Create a Christmas ornament “bouquet” using a large can or jar and a foam cone topped with an arrangement of bulbs and accented with evergreen boughs.
- Keep it simple: choose ornaments in complementary colors and display them in whatever vessels you have around the house. Vases, stemware, shallow dishes, bowls, repurposed jars and hurricane candleholders are perfect candidates.
Image via LifesDivine
No matter how you decide to use Christmas ornaments off the tree, these ideas are sure to bring that festive glow to your home. Get creative and have fun repurposing those baubles into something spectacular, perfect for any room of the house.